A Springtime Garden Wreath

It’s taken me a few weeks to stitch up a pile of flowers, but here they are.  All bright and cheery on the front door.

Spring Wreath on JanMadeIt.wordpress.com

There are roses, and daisies, and all sorts of generic ruffledy flowers, along with a collection of generic leaves in a variety of greens.

I covered a Styrofoam wreath with dark green felt, just using straight pins to hold it in place, and then used more pins to randomly attach the flowers. It was a little harder to be “random” than one would expect, but I think I managed to make the colors flow from one shade to the next in a pleasing way.

I took this picture at an angle to keep the fill flash from reflecting back at me and creating a hot spot on the glass. I just now noticed that angle exposed the green felt and the pins I used to assemble the wreath. Oops.  Guess I should have crocheted a few more leaves and flowers.

I found dozens of free patterns for crocheted flowers and leaves online and after I made a few of them I started winging it and making my own.

My plan is to go into more detail and about these flowers and provide links for the flowers I made, and directions on how I made the others. However, last night I made a list of the projects in progress just within sight of my bedside table and came up with 16 projects or parts of projects.

Today I checked off,

  • Finish Spring Wreath
  • Attach wire hanger to the back of the wreath
  • Hang wreath and photograph it
  • Post wreath online.

So I’ll do my best to keep my focus on these flowers for a few more days before I move onto the next thing.

By the way, this is the third wreath I’ve made this year with this same Styrofoam form and straight pins. I made one for Valentine’s Day and then took that apart and made another for St. Patrick’s Day.

Valentine's Wreath on JanMadeItSt. Patriock's Day Wreath on JanMadeItAfter I took the pictures, we added a few little stuffed hearts to hang inside the Valentine’s wreath. I used a collection of 4-inch squares intended for a pixelated heart quilt. These were spare parts for the little quilt that also needs to be on my list of things to finish.

The St. Pat’s wreath was wrapped with green tulle flocked with shamrocks. I paid $2 a yard on the clearance table at Joann’s. It was from the 2016 season. The green net with gold trim has been in my stash for years. I think it came from my grandmother. It was paired with matching gold trimmed red net in a box with Christmas decorations.  But the green was perfect for this wreath too.

Now the 4-inch squares are back in a box with my ready to assemble pixelated heart quilt; and the green tulle and trim is folded neatly in a gallon-size storage bag waiting for another project. As it gets closer to Memorial Day I’ll come up with a Patriotic sort of idea I can use through the 4th of July.

It’s so much trouble to make, or buy, and then store “regular” wreaths. I decided to use this same form all year. The parts are easily stored for another project or the same wreath next year.

So in a few months I’ll be looking for things that might need a crocheted flower or two. I’ll have plenty.

%d bloggers like this: